The Mission & Purpose of Our Organization:
One Mission: Inspire The Next Generation of First Responders. Our purpose is to develop civic leadership through literacy programs. We create award-winning children’s books, educational curricula and mentoring initiatives that enhance individual and community capacity. Our team of invaluable volunteers implement the following priorities:
- 1. Donate new books to kids in-need.
- 2. Mentor youth and help them prepare for Hurricane Season.
- 3. Train inmates during job ready and civil rights workshops.
- 4. Advocate for the restoration of Louisiana wetlands.
- 5. Deliver humanitarian relief within distressed communities.
- 6. Provide scholarships for leadership development training.
Awards For Community Service and Leadership:
1 in 3 Louisiana prisoners reads below a fifth-grade level. Among black men from New Orleans, 1 in 7 is either in prison, on parole or on probation. Research from the Center for Improvement of Early Reading Achievement states that "access to books is the most significant barrier to literacy development." Team Happy Foundation, in collaboration with community partners, is committed to learning from our work inside jail cells and inside middle school classrooms. Our efforts have been recognized by the following:
- Gambit News 40 under 40
- New Orleans Magazine People to Watch
- Kiwanis Club Humanitarian of the Year
- FEMA National Achievement Award Finalist
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Community Leadership Fellowship
- A Community Voice Hurricane Katrina Heroes Award
- Alliance For Good Government Civic Leader of the Year
- American History textbook: "Civics Today: Citizenship, Economics & You"
- 125th Anniversary American Red Cross Publication
- Esquire Magazine, BBC World News
- USA Today, The Louisiana Weekly
We equip young people of color with skills to compete in the safety & environmental industries.
RECENT NEWS UPDATES
Team Happy Foundation is an award-winning NGO committed to supporting children in the aftermath of disaster. Dear Friends: we greatly appreciate your heartfelt concerns regarding the EF3 Tornado which touched down on Tuesday, February 7, 2017. My immediate family is fine but my extended family has suffered substantial loss: 250 homes were destroyed. An additional […]
Team Happy Foundation is collecting donations for children and families decimated by The Great Flood of 2016. Our team has adopted a neighborhood community of about 200 families in Baton Rouge and we’re honored to serve them. Thank you for your specific contributions. Together, we have delivered the following major necessities: 1,400 Miles Traveled Rebuilding […]
### Dear School Administrator, My name is Happy Johnson and I am the Executive Director of Team Happy Foundation. I am currently in the 3rd year of a Community Leadership Fellowship with the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. As such, I’ve partnered with leaders of two other local organizations, Camp Restore and Community Works of Louisiana, to […]